After another long, fun and challenging Southern Nevada Golf Association season, the 2018 Players of the Year have been recognized and revealed. There are first-time champs and others (hello Edward Fryatt and Frank Abbott) who continue to dominate their respective divisions (Championship, Silver). Another terrific 2019 is ahead of us, but now is the time to look back and honor our deserving players of the year.
2018 Players of the Year: Edward Fryatt, Championship (4-times in a row). Todd Roberts, Senior. Frank Abbott, Silver (5 times in a row). Jeffrey Gilliame, Net. “Dandy” Don Blanton, Senior Net. and Al Keuker, Silver Net.
Also, the SNGA volunteer of the year was Sue May. For the WSNGA the co-volunteers of the year were Karen Herness and Rusty Beckel. The facility of the year was Bear’s Best Las Vegas and member club of the year was Chimera.
See below for a list of accomplishments of each player and the recap video of these fine players. Plus, a Channel 8 sports feature about the SNGA and Senior POY Todd Roberts.
2018 Championship Player of the Year – Ed Fryatt
- Before I dive into all of his 2018 golf achievements, I would like to thank Ed for volunteering his time to sit on the SNGA Tournament Committee. Ed does everything he can to help us continue to improve our events. Having someone of his caliber and with his playing experience is invaluable to us
- Participated in 14 events which earned him Player of the Year Points
- Out of those 14 events, he finished no worse than 3rd place in any SNGA or Nevada State event that he competed in
- In the 2018 Nevada State Events, he finished T3 at the State Amateur at TPC Summerlin, 2nd place at the Nevada State Mid-Amateur Championship at Las Vegas National Golf Club, and Runner Up in the Nevada State Match Play @ Hidden Valley Country Club
- He also earned points by qualifying for the United States Mid-Amateur Championship where he made it through the stroke play portion of the Championship and into the final field of 64 competitors competing in Match Play
- Finished Runner Up at The Crane Cup where the very best Mid-Amateur golfers from all over the country come to compete in a 54-hole stroke play Championship. He shot 67-67-71 for a final score of 8 under par to finish in 2nd
- His wins last year included a victory @ the 2nd State Amateur Qualifier at Aliante Golf Club
- Winner of the Henderson Amateur at Revere Golf Club
- Winner of the Nye County Amateur at Mountain Falls Golf Club
- And he won here in July @ The Reflection Bay Amateur Championship (Final Round 63 – course record) (Won by 13 strokes)
- Please join me in congratulating our 2018 SNGA Player of the Year for the 4th year in a row, Ed Fryatt
2018 Net Player of the Year – Jeff Gilliame
- Competed in 15 events which earned him points towards the Net Player of the Year
- Earned enough points to represent the SNGA in the Cobb-Whalen Cup against Northern Nevada.
- Jeff was one of our most improved players in 2018. His handicap index started as a 6.7 at the beginning of the year, and by the end of the year he was down to a 3.7
- Out of the 15 events he competed in, he finished in the Top 5 in 12 out of 15 events
- Finished Runner Up in 4 events including the Boulder City Four Ball Championship at Boulder City Golf Course
- Finished Runner Up at the Laughlin Amateur at Mojave Resort Golf Club
- Finished Runner Up at the SNGA Tour Event at Desert Pines Golf Club
- Finished Runner Up at the SNGA Tour Event at Arroyo Golf Club
- Winner of the Henderson Amateur at Revere Golf Club
- Winner of the Summerlin Amateur at Highland Falls and Palm Valley Golf Clubs
- Winner of the Reflection Bay Amateur (Came from 9-strokes back after the first round to win)
- Please welcome up, winning this award for the very first time, our 2018 Net Player of the Year, Jeff Gilliame
2018 Senior Player of the Year – Todd Roberts
- Participated in 14 events which earned him points towards Senior Player of the Year
- Of those 14 events, finished in the top 4 in all but one
- Finished Runner Up 5 times, a couple of which he was tied for the lead but lost on a scorecard playoff. So if I had to guess I would guess one of his goals for 2019 is to play the Back-9 a little better than last year. His Runner Up finishes include:
- At Short Game Championship at Desert Willow Golf Club
- SNGA Tour Event at Arroyo Golf Club
- At last years Tournament of Champions at Bears Best Las Vegas
- The Cascata Amateur Championship at Cascata Golf Club
- Tied for 2nd at the Reflection Bay Amateur here at Reflection Bay Golf Club
- And tied for 2nd at the Las Vegas City Senior Amateur at Las Vegas Golf Club
- His wins include victories at the SNGA Tour Event at Coyote Springs Golf Club
- The Nye County Amateur at Mountain Falls Golf Club
- The Laughlin Amateur at Mojave Resort Golf Club
- And he defended his 2017 title by winning the Nevada State Senior Amateur Championship at Somersett Country Club in Reno. Todd shot a 76-68-71 for a final score of -1 under par and a 4-shot victory
- Please join me in giving a round of applause, receiving this award for the first time, the 2018 Senior Player of the Year, Todd Roberts
2018 Senior Net Player of the Year – Don Blanton
- Competed in 21 SNGA and Nevada State Events. 18 in the Senior Division and 3 in the Net Division. That is the most events any player competed in in 2018. Don thank you for being such a big supporter of the SNGA and continuing to play in our events.
- Out of the 18 events which he competed in the Senior Division, he finished in the top 5, 11 times, including two 3rd place finishes, 2 Runner-Up finishes, and 3 victories
- He finished T-3 at the SNGA Tour Event at Coyote Springs
- And 3rd at the SNGA Tour Event at Arroyo Golf Club
- He finished T-2nd at the SNGA Tour Event at Las Vegas Golf Club
- And he finished T-2nd at our 3rd Major of the year, the Clark County Amateur held at Boulder Creek Golf Club
- His 3 victories include a win at the SNGA Tour Event at Chimera Golf Club
- A 1st place finish at the SNGA Tour Event at Siena Golf Club
- And he was the Senior Net Champion at the Nye County Amateur held at Mountain Falls Golf Club
- Please join me in congratulating our 2018 Senior Net Player of the Year for the 2nd consecutive year, Don Blanton.
2018 Silver Player of the Year – Frank Abbott
- Before diving in to Frank’s many accomplishments on the golf course, I would like to point out that Frank volunteers his time not only to sit on the SNGA Board of Directors, but also to serve as the head of the SNGA Tournament Committee. His efforts to help improve the SNGA are widely known and greatly appreciated
- Frank has been playing competitive golf for a long time now. During that time he has qualified for 11 USGA Championships with his best finish a Runner Up at the 2003 U.S. Senior Amateur.
- Since his first SNGA event in 2013 he has won more than 50 times, including 11 Majors, 3 Nevada State Silver State Titles, and the last 6 SNGA Championships.
- He competed in 19 events in 2018 which earned points towards the Silver Player of the Year. Out of those 19 events he finished in the top 5, 17 times.
- He finished Runner Up 7 times including in SNGA Tour Events at Wildhorse Golf Club, Aliante Golf Club, Las Vegas Golf Club, and Coyote Springs Golf Club.
- His Runner Up finishes in SNGA Championships include the 2018 Laughlin Amateur at Mojave Golf Club, The Henderson Amateur at Revere, and the Nye County Amateur at Mountain Falls Golf Club.
- Frank also accumulated 7 Victories in 2018. They include two SNGA Tour wins at Desert Pines Golf Course and Arroyo Golf Club.
- He also won at the 2018 Cascata Amateur Championship and right here in July at the Reflection Bay Amateur.
- He won 2 of the 4 SNGA Major Championships in 2018. Those wins came at the Southern Nevada Amateur at Legacy Golf Club, and the SNGA Championship at Cascata Golf Club where he won the title for the 6th year in a row.
- Please join me in congratulating our 2018 Silver Player of the Year, winning this title for the 5th year in a row, Mr. Frank Abbott
2018 Silver Net Player of the Year – Al Kueker
- Al competed in 19 SNGA and Nevada State events that earned him Silver Player of the Year points. Out of those 19 events he finished in the top 5, 11 times.
- They include a 4th place finish at the Nevada State Senior Amateur @ Somersett Country Club
- He recorded a T-3rd finish at our 3rd Major Championship of the year, the 2018 Clark County Amateur held at Boulder Creek Golf Club.
- His lone Runner Up finish in 2018 was a T-2nd at last years Tournament of Champions at Bears Best Las Vegas
- He found the winner’s circle 5 times in 2018 including:
- A victory at The SNGA Tour event at Aliante Golf Club
- The SNGA Tour event at Siena Golf Club
- The SNGA Short Game Championship at Desert Willow. Which to be fair he was the Course Superintendent at the time so he had a bit of a home field advantage
- His other victories include a 1st place finish at the Henderson Amateur at Revere Golf Club, and he took home the Silver Net title at the Summerlin Amateur held on both Highland Falls and Palm Valley Golf Clubs.
- And while it did not earn him any Player of the Year points in the Silver Division, it is worth noting that Al finished Runner-Up in the Nevada State Net Amateur Championship against a field of 48 players. He won low medalist honors after 36-holes of stroke play, and then beat 2 match play opponents in the quarter and semi-finals before losing on the 18th hole of the Final Match.
- Beyond his accomplishments on the golf course this year I would also like to recognize him for his efforts in supporting and promoting Junior Golf in the area. He currently volunteers his time and sits on the Board of the Southern Nevada Junior Golf Association and is an integral part of their success.
- And lastly I would like to congratulate him for winning the honor of the 2018 Southern Nevada Golf Course Superintendents Association, Superintendent of the Year.
- Please join me in welcoming our 2018 Silver Net Player of the Year, winning this award for the first time, Al Kueker.